Dear Senator Patrick Leahy,
I am writing to you today concerning S. 1328 the Uniting American Families Act, which you introduced in May of last year. I would like to thank you for sponsoring this legislation for the past 3 sessions of Congress.
Upon introduction, the bill was sent to the Judiciary Committee to which you are the Chair. This is the part that confuses me. I understand that it was difficult when the Republicans were in charge to get a hearing, but you're in charge now. Not just the Democrats, but YOU are in control of the committee that is in control of this bill.
When will you be scheduling hearings. When will testimony be put into the record? I personally know dozens, if not into the hundreds of couples that have suffered forced separation from their families. The stories are so heartbreaking. I can only imagine that it was these stories that motivated you to introduce this legislation 3 times.
My own Senator Feinstein, refuses to hear the cries. She replies to the thousands of letters with form letters. Upon notice, we could have your committee rooms flooded with loving caring families - parents, children, partners all. We are generally not rich people. We are generally just average working people - working hard, and trying to find a happy life together with our families. With incredible hardship, and at extra ordinary expense, some couples are able to stay together, here or in exile. All families ultimately suffer profound suffering.
The choices and hardship incurred by these couples and their families serve no national interest, and the obstructions they face, are simply cruel. When will you allow our stories to be heard.
Sir, I am a veteran, and a patriot. One of our most coveted documents - statement of principals: The Declaration of Independence is not just words to me. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
I challenge anyone to listen to our stories and not be moved. I challenge anyone to listen to our stories and not recognize that we are being denied that unalienable Right which was clearly articulated as inalienable by the founding fathers. Let the chorus of our voices be heard
I look forward to hearing from you concerning the scheduling of hearings on S. 1328.
Warmest Regards,
Mickey Lim
No comments:
Post a Comment