Monday, June 16, 2008

Let my partner stay

What else can I say but that the discriminatory immigration law against LGBT couples (and in fact most immigrants) are forcing couples to make difficult decision - forcing them to leave the country to live in exile.

Watch this little gem from CurrentTV - tell me why they should be forced to leave this country while a straight man could mail order a bride from another country, sponsor her for a green card and bring her to this country....

Today at 5.01pm, we have same sex marriage rights in California. TODAY. Can you believe it? However getting this rights, while awesome does nothing for binational couples - in fact, depending on the visa they are holding, it could actually adversely impact their ability to stay here. So word to all those binational couples, please CONSULT with an attorney before going to apply for a marriage certificate!

In the meantime, I urged all of you to write to your congress person to urge them to sponsor the Uniting American Families Act.... there are at least 36,000 couples that are in this situation (and I think that figure if very conservative!)..


No comments: